Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Beautifully Altered

I needed a place to write out my journey through the mental health system with PTSD.  I have had horrible therapy and good therapy. I have been hospitalized and told to suck it up. I've been told I need to get tough because life is hard.  I've been the target of jokes because my emotions were always on high alert.
No one knew the secret battle I fought.  The sexual and mental abuse I hid and dealt  with alone because I was trying to be strong. I held it together until I couldn't anymore.  I've been altered by my pain and the things I've been through. I am not a victim, I am not damaged, I am beautifully altered.
Mental illness is one of the toughest things I've ever been through.  The mental health system in America needs an overhaul. I've met few people on my journey that had true understanding and sometimes compassion for people who fight a battle in their mind. Unfortunately it comes across as uncaring or judgmental. I want to bridge that gap through my story.