Monday, May 22, 2017

Boom Goes the Dynamite

There are things people with PTSD dread. July 4th being one of those things.
What?????
How do you dread July 4th? The watermelon, family get togethers, BBQ, swimming.........
FIREWORKS!!!!
If you have PTSD or someone you know has PTSD, you know fireworks are tough. I LOVE fireworks. I love the pretty displays, the twinkling sparks that look like sky glitter. I ooh and ah with the best of them.
The downside is, if someone lets off loud fireworks and I don't know it is coming, that is where the trouble lies. The startle reflex takes over and I will go straight to panic. I end up being edgy for hours. This edginess translates to I cannot handle any laughter, loud noises, whistling, TV, radio, or general noise. It makes me angry. I have to work hard to control the edginess and anger. I also zone out. Don't ask me questions during this time. I won't answer you; not because I am rude, but because I do not hear you. I am in my safe zone.
My body reacted to a supposed threat and now I am recovering. My recovery can and most likely will look different from another person's recovery. I need to zone out. I need my mind to stop and recover. I can process questions during this time but it is very hard to answer or I am easily irritated I had to answer. This zone out recovery time isn't optional. It is necessary and will happen whether I want it to or not.
Tonight at a campground some kids set off fireworks and I had no clue it was coming. I was startled and then on high alert. After the big ones went off they let off a bottle rocket. Being on high alert I was startled by the bottle rocket as well. I was doing everything in my power to hold it together in front of my kids and inlaws. I was breathing and zoning out as best I could to hold off the panic attack that wanted to ruin my night. I am now recovered by still very high alert.
Please be mindful of PTSD patients this summer. Especially our veterans with PTSD. To them fireworks are and IED and they flashback to fighting for their life. It goes way beyond a startle reflex and panic attack. Please be patient and kind when interacting with people with PTSD. They cannot help their reactions and are just trying to survive the moment.